Thank you for registering for the workshop.
1. Please review the following webpage:
Use of videos in medical education (workshop)
Some of the material on the website covers: A) examples of video use in medical education, B) why use videos, C) how to effectively use videos
2. Based on your own experience or interest in using/producing videos, please write down questions related to these or other topics you would like addressed.
3. If you are interested in converting lectures on Powerpoint to video, please please go to the site below and review "Online Authoring Tools" section:
During the workshop, we will:
4. Work in small groups, to discuss questions raised in Point 2 above.
In the general whole group presentation and discussion followed by Q and A, a list related to these 3 areas will be elaborated upon.
5. Review your list with the 12 tips presented. - (Theories & principles will be discussed)
6. How to design video scenarios? - Group work with facilitation
1pm, Review the pre-workshop information
- Examples of videos use in medical education
- Why use videos
- How to effectively use videos in medical education
1:30pm, Tips of effective video use in medical education
- Why use videos (Theories)
- How to effectively use videos in medical education (Principles)
4:00pm, How to design video scenarios for medical education
- Apply the 12 tips & use of technology
- Group work with facilitation
5:15pm, Q & A
Multimedia teaching with video clips: TV, movies, YouTube, mtvU in the College classroom (Ronald A. Berk, 2009)
Cognitive load theory: Implications for medical education (AMEE guide 86: in May 2014 issue of Medical Teacher)
Examples of video use in medical education - online format
Building an online course (ophthalmology example)
YouTube and medical education (Slideshare)
Video example (excerpt, case presentations, thoracic oncology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Centre)
12 tips of video uses in medical education
How to start
Design video scenarios for medical education:
(1) Instructional design model
(2) Demonstration of Adobe Presenter to capture & edit videos - online format
Q & A
Online demo - comparison of video capturing & editing software, i.e., Windows Movie Maker, Adobe Presenter, Camtasia, iMovie, Final Cut Pro
What is multimedia?
What is digital storytelling?
Educational uses of digital storytelling
Pictures + audio narration + background music
Video + narration
Slides + narration + webcam
Using movie maker
Convert Powerpoint to images
emodules for students (CDTL, NUS)
CDTL Link (Jul/Aug 2009)
Using blogs to support learning (CDTL, 2009)